I had some kids swear at me on the way to work today. After they walked past me and said hello. I said hello back, and just kept walking. After about 10 seconds, I hear bad language being yelled at me (there was no-one else along the path), and when i turned around, they were all looking at me. So, i yelled back at them, and said a few 나쁜말 of my own.

This isn't the first time that this has happened in my town. I've had kids that I dont know say bad language (in korean and english) to me. But, what can I do about it? All I know is, is that, if I wasn't korean (or at least asian looking), they wouldn't do it. It is really sad that things like this happen.

The way I see it, is that they're the ones with the problem, not me. If young people can't show foreigners any respect, then, they will grow up, showing desrespect to foreigners. I dont want to be in Korea if too many people are going to be rude to foreigners.

When I am outside of Jeolla province (I have had similar problems in Gwangju and a few other places i've been to) I have never had a problem with this. I find it really strange.

But, I have been in Korea for almost 12 months now. I dont really give a f**k if little kids have problems with foreigners. They're the ones with the problem, not me. If they want to be rude, disrespectful, close-minded (and xenophobic), then that is their choice. I know that they are strong words, but it is a serious problem for Korea.

No comments: