Things were okay today. I got my hot water fixed. It wasn't working properly. Thought I'd give it a second chance today, to see if it was just a chance thing... but, having a cold shower, when it's only 5 degrees outside isn't good... so, got that fixed tonight. Its so quiet now! hehe

On a bad note, had an incident in one of my classes where a boy (possibly 2) who swore and insulted a girl in my class in korean, and I didn't know until the class ended. It was for half the class where the mood was crazy. The really dissapointing thing, is that the students involved were the ones I trust the most. When I first talked to my boss about it, he said it was a misunderstanding, and that the girl that was crying, cries all the time. I told him, that whether she cries all the time or not, isn't the point. Children at the age of 12, have a concept of what is right and what is wrong. I told him that if it happens again, I dont want them in my class. They have no right to do that to anyone.

On the way back to my place, to let the plumber in to fix my hot water, we had another discussion about it. He had to talk to the girls mum (from what he told me, more like tolerate her anger), and he said that I was right - I shouldn't have to put up with that. The downside to that is that when students say rude/obscene/innapropriate things in korean, I have no idea what they're saying... One way to fix it: no korean in my class.

So... because of today's incident... here are the new class rules (in English and Korean):

1. Act respectfully at all times: to every person and their posessions.
1. 교실에서는 항상 모든 사람에게 공손하고, 물건은 소중히 다루세요.

2: In class, use English at all times. Do not use Korean in class, unless Andy선생님 says to.
2: 수업중에는, 항상 영어를 사용하세요. 학생들은 Andy 선생님이 허락할때 한국말을 할 수 있습니다.

3: Only sit on chairs. Do not sit on, or climb over the tables.
3: 의자에만 앉도록 하세요. 책상에 앉거나, 올라가지 마세요.

4: Put your hand up and wait, if you want Andy선생님's attention.
4: Andy 선생님의 주의를 원한다면, 손을 들고 기다리세요.

5: When Andy선생님 is talking, listen carefully, and dont interrupt.
5: Andy 선생님이 말할때는 주의깊게 듣고, 끼어들지 마세요.

Remember, Andy선생님 is an English teacher, not an English/Korean translator.
Andy 선생님은 영어선생님이지, 영어를 한국말로 번역하는 사람이 아니라는 것을 명심하세요.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yo.. informative