Moved into my new apartment yesterday. My boss helped me with the heavy stuff (like the fridge, bed and washing machine), then Trevor and his girlfrend (in which I'm not sure how to spell her name), also helped me with moving stuff. Took us the better half of the day, but, got all the stuff up to the 12th floor apartment, and then I went back down to the other apartment (on the 1st floor). The only thing I couldn't get rid of, was a stain on the tiles, where the washing machine was. No amount of scrubbing would get rid of it. I also couldn't take the curtains with me, since the thing that held the curtains in place, was screwed to the ceiling, and I didn't have any screwdrivers.

This morning, I woke up nice and early (about 6:45am), after going to bed at 2:30am (stayed up late talking to Akil), and went to 담양 with him, his wife, and other 검도 students. There was a 검도 competition there, which involved paper cutting and bamboo cutting. This was the first time I have been to one of the 검도 competitions before, and it looks really cool. My 관장님 says that I can do the Bamboo cutting thing - i just need some practice.

At the competition, you have to be careful, and pay attention to whats happening around you, since the bamboo that is cut with the swords, can come flying off in any direction with alot of speed. Two children were hit with flying bamboo. There was an ambulance standing by for the duration of the event. In the first round, while I was using my camera (in my right hand), a piece of bamboo came flying in my direction, and, as if it were natural, just caught it with my left hand, while I was still taking photos. The MC said something in Korean, then everyone looked at me. They applauded the competetor, then applauded me. I have a habin of drawing more attention to myself than necessary.

A few minutes after that, the organiser of the event, Mr. Kim, came over to me, shook my hand, and we started talking in English. Then, he started talking to my 관장님 ^^ I think Mr Kim was surprised that I do 검도 ;) There will be another 검도 competition in October, to be held in 광주, so, I want to try to compete in that ^^ I will see another competition when I go to 제주도 in June, so that will be fun again ;)

Trevor left for 대구 today. He left some stuff with me, that he couldn't take today... He had alot of stuff to take with him. He's helped me out alot in Korea, so, kinda sad to see him go, but also good that he's having a new and different experience in a different part of Korea ;) Good luck, buddy ^^

No comments: