야채 뜰?

Every now and then, I have a "유치" (kindergarten) moment when I use Korean. What i mean by a 유치 moment, is when I use Korean, it sounds childish - not intentionally by the way. I just use what I know, pull meanings from English, and put it together.

When I was first learning Korean, before I knew the word for socks (which is 양말), I used 발 옷 (meaning foot clothes). Its one thing I used to try to do in Korean, was to describe what it is/was. Most of the time, this style of getting meaning across, also needs that the listener needs to know some kind of English.

Today, was "vegetable garden". I know the word for vegetables, which is 야채, and I know the word for garden (which also means backyard), which is 뜰. So, I was trying to explain to a good Korean friend (who is studying something to do with plants at university), that I am starting a 야채 뜰. Now, his English is pretty good, so I thought that he would get it *^^*

But no.

When i use Korean, i try to not use my electronic dictionary, to see how much I know and can use, but I needed to use it to get the right word.

채소밭.

채소 is another word for vegetables, and 밭 means field.

1 comment:

Banannas said...

ah yes...

i love how i learn certain vocabulary words that are from chinese...which is fun but confusing since i have many that i have to either (a) memorize or (b) hope that the 'korean-korean' version is more commonly used now.

i <3 language!