Pride



I totally agree with George Carlin. I'm proud of what Australia has accomplished (and not so proud of the things it's fucked up), but it's just a chance that I was born in Australia to Australian parents at the time *^^*

I'm not a big user of the word "we" or "our", and because I agree with George, I never use it, and it hear it all the time (in Korea, and from others as well), it makes me cringe. For example, many of my Korean friends will refer to Australia as "my country". I don't own Australia. I didn't buy Australia, and I didn't sign a lease to rent it. It's not mine, therefore not "my country". It's just the country where I was born, therefore Australian my nationality, because of people's need to categorise and label everything (especially here in Korea, through my experiences).

For example, when the Australian cricket team, or my favourite football team wins or loses, i don't say "my team". I don't own the team. I will use the name of the team. If I own something, sure, it's mine. My MP3 player, my MP3 player, my emotional baggage *^^*

If you own it, it is your duty to take responsibility for it.

No comments: