Another weekend

Had to go to some kind of Hagwon lecture for the area in Damyang. I was told that all Hagwon bosses and foreign teachers had to go. Did I see any other foreign teachers there? Of course not. But, we got out at 11:10 (it was meant to finish at 12pm). The boss had a tennis match to go to, and I had Geomdo practice. Besides, it was as boring as fuck.



The boss dropped me off at the Bamboo Museum in Damyang, since I was meeting my Geomdo teacher there. At the museum, there is a place to buy bamboo for cutting practice. Every year, Damyang has a Bamboo festival, which involves a national cutting competition. It's where I first met my current teacher (he's friends with my previous teacher) and his wife. Anyway, I walked around for a while, checking out the stuff. There's places that sell things make out of bamboo and wood, and a park to walk around (filled with bamboo, obviously).


we stopped for some lunch at an outdoor restaurant that served 국수 (Guksu). It wasn't too bad. I never really eat it (because all it is is noodles with sauce, or noodles with broth) because its a bit boring. But keeping with the Damyang/Bamboo theme, this place has boiled eggs, that are boiled in water with bamboo in it, to give them a different color and flavor. It was alright. We took the scenic route from Damyang to Jeoneup - via Naejang Mountain (내장산).

Only practiced Bamboo cutting at Geomdo class, which is okay. I still did okay. Okay as in, when I make a mistake, i know why. I got the bus back to Jangseong, and then my apartment, just in time for dinner. Except that when I got home, I broke the handle of the tap that's in my bathroom, so I was unable to turn it off, so water was continuously running. Had to turn the mains off.

Coz of the tap problem, I went to the public baths in my town. Normally, I'm not a fan of it, mainly because of the naked thing, and with Koreans starting at me, basically because I don't look asian (did you notice that too?!). But, after being a few times, I don't give a shit anymore. I'm more comfortable when I go with Korean friends (It seems to be a Korean family/friend bonding thing here). Also, Some public baths have sleeping halls attached (called 찜질방) which are a cheap alternative to motels.

Anyway, got the tap fixed. The boss' brother in law came to fix it, just as I was about to leave to go to Gwangju. I planned on meeting IS for lunch, but had to delay that by an hour. After it was fixed, I got the bus to Gwangju, and met IS. He called me and asked me if one of his friends could join us, and I was okay with that. But, I assumed that it would be a guy. Turned out to be a girl who he studies with. IS's and her major is English Education, so their English was really good. Because I came late, the had already had lunch, so when we met downtown, we went to a bakery, and i just had a sandwich, and they had a drink, and we talked. IS had to go and teach a class at 4pm, so we didn't have much time.

After meeting, I went to Sangmu, to get some stuff at eMart. They didn't have the new Epik High album, so I got everything else that i was after, and bought "Pieces, Part One" at the bus terminal. Also got the Pieces Part One poster as well, when I bought the album.


There was something the boss said to me on Saturday, that made me think about staying longer in Korea, as in 6-8 months more (not a whole year). I get the feeling that he wants to keep me here (because its easier than hiring a new person), but we get along well. It's just an idea. Also, I'm not 100% certain if he wants me here longer, but from what he said, made me think that he wouldn't have a problem with it. If I stay longer, I can save some more cash for when I go home, and the timing will be a lot better for re-starting my teaching career back home.

Still an idea floating around...

No comments: