Quick update

Called my dad for his birthday. Was good to hear his voice, and good to hear that had a good time on his birthday. Played a few jokes on kids for April Fools' Day (만우절), had two classes convinced that I had to teach them TOEIC from now one. Bought tickets for going to Japan in June. A bit pricier than the cheapest, but still not too bad (about 330,000 won ($372 AU)).

Now to talk shop for a bit:


Some example questions from teaching basic English in Korea. First problem I have is the kind of test. Learning language isn't a multiple choice test. Korea has too many multiple choice tests. No, Korea has too many test. That's it.

The other problems, are what it says with the two questions. English Teachers that can't speak English well, and students that don't do their homework. I've met (or heard from others) too many Koreans that say that they teach English, but can't speak it. Korea really focuses on TOEIC and other tests to say how well that they can do something. I've been in Korea for 2.5 years, and I can use Korean way better than some grade 3 middle school students (Grade 9 equivalent), who have been studying English since Primary School. Different styles of learning. If they were in a environment where the real learning of any language was supported, they would would have no problems with fluency or feeling confident.

I thought the other day, for a country that is obsessed about English, why do I use Korean all the time?

1 comment:

Joia said...

Ahhhh!!! This drives me totally nuts!! There used to be a Korean English teacher at my school and she DID NOT speak any English!! I couldn't have any type of meaningful conversation with her and it's so annoying to me. Why isn't being able to speak English a requirement for an English teacher?! It's so ass backwards to me...