Apple... The New Microsoft?

Yeah... it sounds harsh. Way harsh! But, hey, if they're gonna fuck up my OS with a simple, routine, run-of-the-mill, "we recommend installing" update, and then fuck up the basic features of the computer (the main one being my Mac not recognising external monitors), then I am seriously not impressed.

In my opinion, Apple has been piss farting around with the iPhone and iPods way too much in the past year and a half. The Apple hardware line is in need of an update/upgrade (The Mac Mini is still very shitful). The iPod line, especially the Nano and the Classic, is at the end of it's updateability line. The new Nano's Shake to Shuffle feature is (in my opinion) evidence of that. They've also gone back to the tall and thin design of the 2nd gen Nano, except with a long screen, in which it is rotated on 90 degrees to watch movies in widescreen.

Let's face it. Apple made a good iPod for the 3rd gen. People wanted a bigger screen, but the didn't want the bulkiness. But, they fucked up with the colors. People loved the over the top, painfully bright colours of the 2nd gen.

So, anyway, today, I noticed that the 10.5.5 update was available, and downloaded it. After the restart, my external monitor was not working. I checked System Profiler, and it said that there was no monitor detected. I'm not the only person who is having the same problem. There are a few people with Macbooks who have had a similar problem with built-in/external monitor problems. Other problems including hangs while/just after updating, Bluetooth missing, and a strange desktop rendering problem around the icons.

So, after reinstalling Mac OS 10.5.2 from the DVD, i decided to download the Combo update to 10.5.5, and still had the same problem. So, after installing 10.5.2 again (No external monitor problem while booting from the DVD or fresh 10.5.2 install), i updated back to 10.5.4.

So much for progress, huh?

1 comment:

Tristan said...

Thanks for adding me to your blog roll.

Thankfully I've had no "problems" out of my Mac yet. I've had it for about 9 months now and I'm happy to say I won't be going back to a PC anytime soon.

But I do agree with you - in that they've been neglecting their real responsibilities while expounding the virtues of the iPhone - which won't see the light of day anytime soon in SK it seems.