Phone numbers, Management and Catching Mice

Today, in one of the new, randomly put together classes, a student says to me: "Andy teacher! Your 전화번호 있어" (rough translation "I have your phone number") and points to his phone. I... was... amazed (in a bad way). I never give out my phone number to students, unless they are damn decent students, and never elementary school students. So then I ask who he got it from. He got it from the boss' wife, who teaches maths in the hagwon. So, I grabbed his phone, and deleted it.

WHO THE FUCK GIVES OUT A PHONE NUMBER OF AN EMPLOYEE TO A 9 YEAR OLD STUDENT?

My boss' wife, apparently.

It's not her number to give out. Why would I want random students calling me? How the fuck would she like it if I gave out her number to random students?

Why would I want to talk to a 9 year old, outside of work? Even if he calls, what is he gonna do? Say my name, say some random shit in Korean, have a bit of a laugh, waste my time. No FUCKING thanks. I work at work. Once I leave work, I leave it all behind. My work life and social life have a large wall between them, with a very small gate being the only way though. There are very rare instances where I let people though from the work side, to the social side. The boss' sons being an example, since i see them in class every day, and if they're not busy on the weekends, I'll take them to Gwangju to see a movie. Another student, who has recently moved to Gangwon-do, has made the transition, coz I saw him every day at Geomdo. So, basically, these three students, are more like little brothers than students.

It was very difficult for me to look at her today, because if we did make eye contact, I would have said a few things that I probably would have regretted. I think, from tomorrow, I will be checking other students' phones to see if they have my number. If they do, I'll be asking a few questions. I don't mind giving out my cyworld address to students, which then leads to Nateon (a Korean IM), but I don't add them to my list. Previous students who were once in my middle school classes, who have now moved on to high school, I have no problem with.

But, my personal phone number? No fucking way.

Other shit at work is the boss changing classes at random. Here's the deal. One school in the area decided to start up a bit later than the other schools. The boss knew this. Did he plan for it, so that he could tell me a few days (or even one day) in advance, so I know what kids would be in which class? FUCK NO. My first class, everyone sits downs, I start to hand out books, and just as we start the lesson, he comes in, takes a few kids away, and dumps a few others in my class, and explains what's going on. Luckily, on Friday, he told me that this one school was starting late, so there would be a re-shuffle of classes. Fair enough. Luckily, I also know my boss' style of management, which seems to be no management (can a lack of management be a style of management.. or is that like saying a lack of pregnancy is just a different style of being pregnant?). So, luckily, i had a back up plan, and just stuck with that.

It's one thing, even though I'm used to it now, still shits me. The randomness of being in Korea. Kids will come late, and the boss just dumps them in my class, even though the work I would do in that class, would be way too hard for them. Sure, I use Korean in class sometimes - according to their level (for general behaviour management, i use Korean - the students respond a lot more to that than English), but a lot of the work I do, they need to know what we've worked on before, etc, shit like that.

So, my normal plan of boss randomly doing stuff, is games, sometimes in Korean. On monday, in one class, I played 쥐를 잡다. If you're not sure, here's a vid of it:



I'm not a fan of Tablo's English used... but I used my own way before I saw this.

First, you sing the cute little song.

쥐를 잡지! 쥐를 잡지! 찍! 찍! 찍!
(Catch the Mouse! Catch the Mouse! Squeak! Squeak! Squeak!)
x2
(Only just found out that it's called 쥐를 잡자! not 쥐를 잡다! 자 at the end of the verb means "let's". No one corrected me until I saw a few episodes of it on Youtube and noticed

Then everyone shouts 몇마리?! (How many?!)

The first person then chooses how many mice that people need to catch. You can choose from 0 to 5, inclusive:
0마리: no mice
1마리: one mouse
2마리: two mice
3마리: three mice
4마리: four mice
5마리: five mice

After that, the next person can choose to say 잡았다 (caught it!) or 놓쳤다 (missed it). if you say "caught it", you should put your arms out in front, and make a "catching" movement with your hands. If you say "missed it", you have to move your palm towards your head while saying it. If there are mice remaining, the next person says "caught it" or "missed it", and does the action, and this keeps going until all the mice have been caught.

Once all the mice have been caught, of if someone says "no mice", everyone should put their arms in the air and say "만세!" (Wow! or Yeah!), and then it starts again, with the next person (the person after the person who caught the last mouse, or who said "no mice" will say how many mice there are to catch.

The game stops when someone fucks up. If someone takes too long to chose an action, or if they do something else than what they're meant to (like saying "caught it" or "missed it" when everyone should be saying "yeah!").

For the students who enjoy English games, they like this game. It's good for using singular and plural words. I've played it with other animals as well. "Catch the Pig!" and "Catch the Elephant!" are always good for the sounds the animals make during the opening song.

For the Korean word nerds:

마리 is the counting word that accompanies the number (it's the 개 for animals. 컴퓨터 1개, 쥐 1마리 - one computer, one mouse). 몇마라 in a question is asking how many animals are there. For example: "동물원에서 사자 몇마리 있어요?" would mean "How many lions are there in the zoo?". Also, in a regular sentence "몇" before a counting word, can mean "several". The 사육사 (zoo keeper) might reply: "글세... 잘 모르겠는데 몇마리 있어요", meaning, "Well, i don't really know, however, there are several".

P.S. If my Korean is wrong, please say so in the comments. *^^*

No comments: