Fuck Chuseok! (aka, I'm Angry!)

There... I said it. Fuck Chuseok. Chuseok, especially this year (because two of it's days are on the weekend), is yet another waste of a holiday. Koreans can't organise anything, but when it comes to holidays (and fucking foreigners over), they actually plan and do something about it. Yes, I had "Koreans" and "plan" in the same sentence!

Holidays in lieu, people!

Now that that's out of the system, I just wanna say a few things.

Koreans normally want foreigners to have a good impression about their country. If they don't know by now, when foreigners go back home (and become normal people again), they talk to other people and tell them about their experiences - good and bad. Most likely, they will talk about how someone at their work fucked them over in some way shape or form. I'm not sure of the stats, but I would think that "enough" foreign English Teachers here have been fucked over by their boss or fellow employees at some stage. This week, the week before Chuseok, I have had a few friends receive some serious fucked overage from their boss.

Sure, not everyone is like this. Just enough of the people here to make me paranoid about finding a person's ulterior motive, when I meet a Korean person. It's been hard for me to make decent Korean friends here (maybe my standards are too high, but I'm not going to lower my standards), but I have made some, and when I leave Korea, I will miss them a lot. They're the ones that made Korea an enjoyable and decent place for me. The ones who didn't, they can get fucked too.

So, my (rhetorical) question is: How are foreign workers meant to have a good impression about Korea, when, eventually, your boss is gonna fuck you over?

Chuseok also has the nickname of "Korean Thanksgiving". I know that some of my friends, including me (I've had a shit week too, but nothing compared to what some of my friends have had to deal with) have had a shit week, so they won't be doing much thanking regarding Korea.

There are times when I think of one scene in Red Planet which really describes my feelings about Korea sometimes. Just before Gallagher (played by Val Kilmer) blasts off from the surface of Mars, and says:


"Fuck this planet!"


36 days to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i find it hard to make sincere korean friends too... i think so far i can only count 1 or 2 koreans as real friends.