T-shirts and Work

My t-shirts from babotshirts.com on Wednesday (along with my 2 Fan Death stickers, and a bonus 똥침금지 sticker), which was great. They're roughly the same size as the shirts I bought in Australia, but they'll stretch a little after I wear them. I wore the 짱! t-shirt to work on Thursday, and damn, were Koreans checking it out. The attention factor multiplied a bit. It's like moths to a flame, or foreigners to a badly designed t-shirt with English on it, made by a Korean. ㅋㅋㅋ


My 짱! shirt is in the wash.


The 똥침금지 sticker is on the back.

Still contemplating the purchase of the "18 dog baby" shirt, and wearing it on my last day of work.

The middle school classes weren't too bad tonight. I only have them once a week, so it's a nice break from just elementary classes. When they behave well, they're great. Most of the time, they're pretty good. I've got one kid, who has definitely got some kind of Attention deficit thing going on, and he was pretty good. Just made it my mission to keep him focused and on task. When he's a bit "off", it really messes up the whole vibe of the class room. For example, last week, one of the other students was ready to fight him after class.

Here's a sample of what I do with the middle school kids:

When class starts, I allot 5 - 10 minutes for them to ask me about anything they learned during the week at school, any homework they're not sure about. If there is something that a majority of the class

I choose a random article that is around their level (The boss has a stash of "Kids Times" and "Teen Times", so I choose one at random), skim though the article to see if it's okay. Sometimes, I'll get 3 different articles, and make one for each class. I'll photo copy and take it home Thursday night and make some questions.

On Friday, I photocopy the articles for the students, and after discussing problems and homework, I'll hand it out.


Students scan the article for the words listed in the Korean vocab section. When they find one, they circle the word in the article, and then write the Korean word next to it. While they're doing this, I write the questions on the board. After they find all the words, they write the questions on the back of the paper.

I then read it to them, and then they read it. I get students to read it a paragraph at a time, and then when they're done, they choose another student to continue.

After we read it, they do the questions, and they can ask me any questions (other than "what's the answer"?) if they need help or clarification.


Who is Jeff? Only one student noticed that mistake.

Then, we go though the answers. This takes about 40-50 minutes, depending on the students, and how well they're behaving. Normally the goes and plays tennis when I've got middle school, so he doesn't really care anyway. But, I do. In Korean English tests, there are almost no open-ended questions. Mostly multiple choice, grammar and short answer questions, which involve finding and regurgitating information from the article. I try to expand on that a little, for rewording information that they find *^^*

So glad that it's the weekend.

4 comments:

Bjørn Larssen said...

"The boss has a stash of "Kids Times" and "Teen Times"

That is so wrong on so many levels. ;)

앤디오빠 said...

They're the names of English Newspaper thingies for Korean students. He gets them delivered for free. They're pretty useful.

Brian said...

I might have to pick some up.

Is 뭘봐 "What are you looking at?" Is it vulgar? I just googled and saw some people translate it as "wtf are you looking at?" As much as I'd love to wear something crude as retribution for all the "fucking freezing" shirts, I'm afraid of getting jumped.

앤디오빠 said...

Yeah, "뭘봐?" means "what are you looking at?" "봐" is just the casual way of saying it. Depending on who your talking to, it can be rude.

I don't think you'd get jumped. It would be more of a realisation for some people that you've stared a bit too long.

I wore the "나는 미국인 아니에요" start today, and boy did that get some attention. lol. Good attention, by the way. I was at a 휴게소 on the way to 마산, and two girls at a food stand had a good laugh about it, and started a conversation about it.

Partly, it's because there are next to no shirts in Korea with Korean writing on it. Also, a white guy wearing a "i'm not american" shirt, it a bit funny.

Well, I'm wearing the "뭘봐?" shirt tomorrow for the first time, so if I don't blog for a few days, you know that something unfortunate has happened :p lol