Monday, Razor

So glad that this week is a short week. Moday was okay. Got to the gym at about 9:40am, worked out on the machines for about 50 mins, then got on the stepper, and then a treadmill with an episode of House on my iPod. Pushed myself to 850 calories today. Spent about 2 hours 45 at the gym. Going to the gym in the morning is good for me, since there are not many people who go there.

I promised some middle school students, that if they handed in their homework today, that they would get a chocolate bar, so after the gym, I stopped by the supermarket, to get some Twix bars for them. Also, Its a student's birthday on the 7th, and since that day is a public holiday, had the party today. So, bought snacks and drinks for the party as well (was able to restrain myself from eating to much, so it was good ^^). So, got to work with 2 big bags of shopping, went to my classroom, put the shopping under my desk, and checked my homework box. Nothing. Next time, I won't even bother wasting my time and effort for students to do 20 mins of homework. I'm always really shocked by how lazy, and sometimes, how stupid some of the students are. I wasn't expecting many students to do it, but wasn't expecting no papers to be handed in. Normally, in February, the boss takes Grade 3 Middle school students to the beach, play some games, and do a bit of travelling for one day. Not this year's Grade 3's. hehe.

Went out for dinner with the boss and his family, since one of his sons came back for Lunar New Year. Never really liked raw fish, but the fish we ate tonight was alright.

I bought a new razor the other day, which has 6 blades, and is battery powered, for vibration. Reminded me of this clip, which is from "the Late Show", an Australian skit/standup comedy show in the early 90's.

2 comments:

Marie Frenette said...

Did you notice that Korean students often go to 2-3 different academies in addition to their regular schooling? They are often up past 12 doing homework.

When I first started, I had the problem of kids not turning in their homework. Sometimes I still do. I found that I get the best results when I teach a good class. They want to do it. When my class is boring, I almost never get anything back.

I feel really uncomfortable reading your rant about how lazy and stupid your students are.
Why not focus on making your teaching more interesting instead of putting down your students on the net?

Definately, the energy you have in class, the way you view your students can be sensed by them. Why not think about how smart the majority of your students are in class next time. You might be surprised by the results.

Marie

앤디오빠 said...

Hey Marie. Thanks for reading my blog. I understand what you mean. But, I have tried making my teaching interesting, fun, educational, enjoyable, and I get the same thing. Blank faces and bad behaviour. So, I just stick with what they know - working from books. Also, not all students are like that, just some/most. The ones that put in the effort in my class, I reward.

Yes, I know about students who study crazy hours. But, this homework I gave was a test, to see if they were willing to do it. And only 1 student was. That student was rewarded.

I am often surprised by my Elementary Students all the time... but the Middle school students, rarely. The ones that make the effort, are the ones that surprise me, but I have so many students who don't.