Japan, Day 2, Kyoto (June 5, 2008)

Welcome to Kyoto.


Unlike the usual swarm and randomness of taxis and cars in Korea, here, the taxi drivers are all organised, ready for their next fare.


We got the taxi to the place where we were staying for the night - an old traditional Japanese house.




After seeing Japanese scary movies, this place felt a little erie to be in, but really cool at the same time *^^*

We then set out, to find the restaurant where we were gonna have dinner (yudofu was on the menu, a traditional tofu dish originally from Kyoto).


The restaurant we were going to go to, was closed, so we saw another road, which had some stores, and that is where I saw the coolest bag. I was on holiday, why bother about the $130 (13,000 yen / 130,000 won) price tag.


Hand made, made from sturdy, strong material, which is used in Samurai clothing (if i remember correctly). While we were there, Daisuke asked the shop owner for another store where we could get some good yodofu. The shop owner also gave us a few bonuses as well - a few face towels, with a cute design on them.

While Daisuke and I were in the shop, Noriko was at another store across the road, checking out some incense. All the aromas smelt really nice. After shopping, we found the restaurant, and damn, what a feast! So many dishes came out, with the main part being boiled tofu.






After a fantastic dinner, we started walking back to our place, but checked out a few other things on the way.







Noriko, like me, likes green tea flavoured deserts, so she saw a place that serves almost everything with green tea flavoured stuff. I got a green tea parfait.



We then stopped at a small supermarket, Lawsons, and then headed home. We sat around, talked, and Daisuke showed me Japanese chess. It was very interesting. We also turned the TV on, but when we turned the TV on, it reminded me of The Ring, so Noriko pretended to be Sadako for a few seconds *^^*



A few more scenes from the house.




I tried a few Japanese things (and a few others as well). Kit Kat in Japan, actually tastes like REAL Kit Kat. Not the shitty chocolate they use here in Korea for Kit Kat. *^^*



Noriko bought a recorder at the 1 coin shop in Nara, so Daisuke serenaded us with a few songs.


We then all went to bed, after a long, exhausting, but awesome day (we slept on the 2nd floor). As I went to sleep, I kept asking myself, did I make the right choice to come and live in Korea for a while, so should have I went to Japan instead...

No comments: