Another Boring Week

Not much happens during the week. I got to work. I hang out at home. That' about it.

The middle school kids had their mid terms lately, so they celebrated by having a samgyeopsal party at the hagwon. In Korea, exams mean a lot. They're not taught good behaviour, but they know what happens when they fuck up an exam. In Korea, it seems that parents really have control of their kids' education, rather than the teachers and education system.

Some teachers are scared of punishing kids, or worry about it, since their kids will tell their parents that the missed out on something, but the kids forget to mention the bad behaviour to the parents, and then the parents are getting all pissed, and start pointing fingers. Basically, exam marks are more important than good behaviour. Some of the students that I have to teach, are a great example of it. But, somehow, some students have managed to obtain good behaviour.

So, while the middle school kids have exam prep, i don't teach them - which i don't really mind. It means that for one day a week, I finish early, rather than finish late. I only have middle school kids once a week, and to be honest, its a waste of their time, and mine as well. When I first got here, I tried preparing things for the class, to improve their spoken English, which is mainly my job, but when it actually comes to speaking English, they just don't wanna do it. And, in a country where exam scores are more important, and where English is grammar, remembering words, and changing tenses and choosing the right answer (yeah, I've seen their mid terms, almost all are multiple choice, not just English, but a lot of the other subjects), it doesn't really matter. The stuff that I have tried to teach them, doesn't apply to their student life.

Anyway, not my problem. I am only one person. It works both ways. I have a few students that actually want to learn, and I feel bad for them, because the majority waste their time, and mine.

Since the middle school students have finished their exams, it means that I have to teach them every Friday, and I'm not looking forward to it.

No comments: