Bees, Big Words and Bread.


Yet another one of my drawings. This time to tell students which "bee/비" I am talking about. Not "rain" 비, and not the Korean singer "Rain" (비), and not the English letter B, but the buzzing, flying kind of bee (벌). And yeah, I wrote 비이, to try to give them the idea that its a long e sound, not a short i sound. The Korean says "where's the honey?", which I know is wrong, coz be's don't look for honey, they make honey, but the kids got the idea. Anyway, i have no idea what "pollen" is in Korean. lol


This was for the class that I had on Wednesday - the one I wrote about the kid playing around with the knife. Decided to teach them these words, so I could do a ten minute talk about these topics. I said something like this (in a mixture of Korean and English - mostly Korean):

"He (the kid in deep shit) needs to be aware that his actions have consequences, and he needs to take responsibility for those. By wasting his time, annoying you (the other students), and annoying me, he doesn't have respect for his learning time, for you or for me. His responsibility it so study hard, and respect others, and himself. My responsibility is to teach you well, and also to look out for your safety. If there was an accident, would would have happened?"

The kids acted out knifes going into their face and eyes.

I continued, "Because of his bad actions, I can't trust him. He needs to prove to me, that he can study hard, and think about the consequences of his actions. Until then, he will sit alone. He can't stand up, unless he has my permission. He can only talk to me."

I turned to him and said "알았지?" (You get it?). He just nodded. I'm probably a bit harsh on him, but he does need to discipline and to be aware that actions have consequences. Also, I'm covering my own ass. What if something did happen when the knife was near the other students face? Well, I know that I would be fired, and/or sued, and so would be boss. Basically, things would be fucked, if anything happened.

Also, it's a good example to the others in class, and also other students in other classes about what I expect, when it comes to behaviour. I don't mind a bit of a joke or a bit of fooling around. They're kids, it's what they do. But there is a line, and he crossed it big time.


A student from another class. This class is also very aware of my behavioural expectations, since almost all of them know the kid who fucked up. Overall, this class is okay, but until recently, they used to fuck up a bit, to the point where I didn't have a birthday party for a student (one of the best in the class), because the other kids didn't deserve it. But, I bought him a 5,000 won 문화 상푼권. Also, I wrote a small letter inside:

XX이... 너를 위해 우리수업에 생일파티 안해주셔서 미안해요.

근대, 약간 학생들은 파티를 자격이 없어, 애냐하면, 그들은 공부를 가끔 잘 못하고 행동도 잘 못해요. 

하지만 너는 우리수압에 공부를 항상 잘 하고 너의 댕동은 짱이다!

그래서, 나는 너를 위해 이선물을 샀어.

생일 축하해 *^^*

~ 앤디쌤


My korean isn't all that good, but when I use it, people tend to get it. I don't study. But anyway, for those playing at home, this is what I wanted to say, in English:

XX, I didn't do a birthday party for you in our class, so I'm sorry.

However, Some students don't deserve a party, because they can't study well, and also can't behave well.

But, you always study well in our class, and your behaviour is the best!

So, I bought this present for you.

Happy Birthday

Mr. M.


You can complain about my Korean in the comments/tasty snacks section *^^*


This is a book I picked up in Australia last year, and am still using it for the Grade 7 (Middle school Grade 1) class. It's not all about spelling and vocabulary. There's a lot of activities in there where they have to use what they know. It makes them think.


After the Grade 7 class, I went out for some dinner (비빔밥 again. Only takes the 이모 at 김밥나라 5 minutes to get it ready), I stopped by a small store to get some 케로로빵 (Keroro bread), because they have cool stickers in them. The Keroro characters are really cute. Finally, I got Keroro, instead of one of the other characters.


Here's a view of my classroom. It's pretty small, but does the job.

No comments: