Romanization of Korean

One thing that really shits me the most, is the number of ways Koreans mix and match different parts of Romanisation systems. It gets to a point where I tell all my Korean friends to write any Korean nouns in Korean, because its just easier. So, to help out my Korean friends, or other learners of Korean, I typed up this information, from the back on an English notebook. Feel free to download it, print it, sent it to Korean friends, show your boss, walk around on the train showing people, like the beggars with notes asking for money :p


Thanks to 병성, 승호, 기중, 상영, 연미,  Clara and anyone else who I forgot to mention (It's 2am, don't mess with me ^^).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes i feel some differences between us.
one of them is your activeness.^^
i hope this material help a lot of people and change confusing romanizing system.

앤디오빠 said...

well, the romanisation system isn't confusing, its the way that Koreans don't know how to use it effectively, and therefore can confuse others.

Lauren said...

isnt' eo pronounced AW? in which case shouldn't it be romanized that way because anyone who sees that will just be confused

앤디오빠 said...

yeah, it could sound sound like aw (depending on accent, etc), but its not written that way. I see your argument, that it would be more helpful if it was romanised to reflect the phonics of Korean, but the thing is, English and korean arents the same. u, in english, can sound like ㅓ and ㅜ depending on the structure of the English word.

This is the current romanisation system that you see for street signs, subway stations, and other places. The thing is, many Koreans don't know the current system, and therefore is damn confusing when they use the old systems, or mix up different systems. I'm used to it now, after being here for 2 years, but I still find it easier just to see the Korean, rather than the romanisation.