Trains, New Places, New Directions

Went to Jeongeup to meet my new Geomdo teacher today, and to meet my new "students".  Every Saturday morning, I'll be going to Jeongeup to do Geomdo, and also, to help out at the Geomdo Teacher's Wife's mini Hagwon.  It was good meeting everyone today.  I chose to go to Jeongeup, instead of Gwangju, because I've met the teacher at Jeongeup and his wife a few times, at Geomdo tests and Competitions, so I felt that I would be more comfortable learning from him.  He can't speak a lot of English, and he was worried about how we would communicate, but I told him, even though my old Geomdo teacher and I could communicate though a mixture of Korean, English and Konglish, when he was teaching me Geomdo, I learned best by watching.  We just need time to adjust (맞추다) to each other.  I told him about what I would like to get out of the class.  I don't care about getting 2nd level black belt, I want to focus on the competition stuff.  I really wanna try to enter a competition here, and have some fun doing that.   I also wanna freak out some Koreans by giving it a go ;)

So, 사무님 (Samonim - teacher's wife) cooked us lunch, which was really delicious, and then he got me to do a few Geomdo moves, just to get an idea of what I can and can't do (I can't tumble or do handstands, and my knees are pretty much fucked).Then we went to a park near 내장산 (Naejangsan), the kids played, while we walked around and talked.  He's a decent guy, and wants to help me out.  He's just worried that I won't like his teaching style, and i told him, it takes time to adjust to new things (his accent, is one of them, i had some trouble understanding his Korean ^^), but its all good.  I know that every teacher has a different style, and I need to adjust to his style.  
He will do some things differently than my old teacher, but that's how it is.  I'm still learning the same stuff, just learning it differently.  Even though its winter, a few of the trees haven't lost their leaves, so took a quick picture as we were leaving.
We went back to Jeongeup station, and I got KTX back to Jangseong (8,100won), and then a local bus back to my apartment (1,300won).  It was really good to meet him and talk with him for a long period of time.  I didn't get many chances to meet with him before hand, because he was busy those times (because of Competitions - either looking after his students who were competing, or judging, or he was judging the Geomdo tests, like at my black belt test).

Went to a restaurant for dinner, then decided to get some singing practice at Noraebang (for people playing at home, Noraebang is your own little karaoke room), because I will be meeting friends in Seoul on Saturday night, and most likely We'll end up singing in a Noraebang somewhere :p


Just wanna leave the post with some Irony: the pic says "Welcome to the fantastic English world...  You'll be so excited...!!!"  Like f**k the students will be :p

No comments: