Rooms, Back and Manners


No matter what I do, i find that I can't get organised in Korea. As in "keeping things tidy and in their place" organised. I have concluded that it comes down to living in one room. Yes, I have a small, concrete room that I live in. Sure it is big enough, but I can't get things organised. Things don't have a place when your house is one room. In this one room, I eat, cook, sleep, use the computer, study, read, dry my clothes... everything. I need rooms to put things in. If I had a bedroom with a desk, then I could put stuff there. If I had a living room, the TV, some books and my computer could go there. If I had a real kitchen, the fridge and all the other stuff could go there. I have tried to keep stuff organised, but it doesn't happen.

I hurt my back on Monday at the gym, but I went to the gym on Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday I had no motivation at all, but still went. Only did 250 calories on the stepper and that was it. And today, with my back + no motivation, I didn't go. I think my back needs a rest to get better, because I don't think it is really healing.

One thing that always shits me, and that after 2 and a half years, students don't seem to understand the "The door is closed, so there must be a class" concept. Here, its more like the "The door is closed, so there MIGHT be a class but I'll open it anyway, barge in, and see what's going on" concept. So, they say "sorry", but the next day, they do it again. Compared to the standards I expect from children (from teaching in Australia, and just in general), a lot of Korean children don't have a concept of manners. Not all, just most. I have a lot of good students that are fantastic, polite, and never rude. But many... just... damn! One factor, in my opinion, comes down to the parenting style. It seems that good grades is seen to be preferred than good behaviour. Which is basically saying "you can be a bastard as long as you get 100% on your tests". Totally not cool.

4 comments:

Bjørn Larssen said...

Give your back a bit of rest, even a week won't hurt. It is actually advised to take breaks from the gym to let your body recover, then when you go back after a break you have more strength than before the break.

But I know it's hard to convince yourself to actually take that break. My knee has been aching since Saturday, but I am planning to do a leg workout today... I will though focus on less knee-intense exercises.

앤디오빠 said...

That's what I use the weekend for, resting. I do Geomfo on Saturdays, which isn't as intense as a gym
workout, and Sunday is totally free. I will go tomorrow though, don't wanna take too much time off from the gym.

Bjørn Larssen said...

I don't mean a normal weekly weekend rest, I mean additional rest :)

There is a lot of articles on overtraining, this one looks interesting:

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/shane10.htm

Oh, and I decided to move the leg workout to Saturday -- I did biceps/forearms/abs instead.

Build said...

It is healing itself now. don't worry too much.

When next monday comes, you will be able to work out for your back yes.. I think so.

Have good weekend, Andy.