Just when you think it's safe...

I was so ready to write my week off, saying it was yet another shit week in Korea. But, thanks to M, who unjinxed that with the "your blog has been a bit negative lately. I hope you're not turning into one of those bitter bloggers.", which made me laugh, but also made me realise, that I have been a bit negative lately. But, my response was, "when I've going something positive to write about, I'll write about it.", because lately, things have been negative...

Until today...

I was expecting yet another bad Friday. Friday is the day I have middle school classes, which normally tend to be a waste of my time for two reasons. One: Students just sit in my class, and do and say nothing. Two: Students are immature, misbehave, and act like dicks. Well, there was a bit of each today, but not enough to f**k up my day. The first incident was of a student, who normally sits there and does nothing anyway, didn't have a pencil, refused to find one, and just sat there with her mobile phone under the desk, texting people. I found her a pencil, and made her do some work. The first class was not all that good, since they just sat there and didn't do anything. I'd ask a question, and I'd be ignored. So, I'd try to get answers out of them, or make them feel embarrassed, when I know that they didn't do the work, by asking them. Sometimes, I do pick on the students, who don't do the work, but why not? They're being lazy!

The other middle school class, which is grade 1 middle school, was a bit rowdy, but not a bad class. I've got them working on a book I bought from Australia - a spelling and vocabulary book aimed at Grade 3 (ages 8 and 9) level, and it seems to work for them just fine.

The boss shouted lunch at the Chinese restaurant again, which was nice. Then back to work for the last middle school class, which I teach the same stuff to, as the first class of the day. I normally take a bit more time with these guys, because for some of them, it's a little hard, but this class has a few lazy students in it, and when they try, they can do it. An hour break, and then my elemntary school classes, which were great.

I rarely do this kind of activity, but for my first class, I got them to write down the Korean words, in English order, and the English words in Korean order, to make them think about the grammar of the two languages. In Korean, writing people's names in red, means that you want them to die, so the kids and I came up with funny ways (using English) about how they died. Ben got hit in the head with a baseball, Wendy got hit in the head with a guitar by the rock star, Amy got attacked with a fork at the restaurant that she ate out at, and David caught on fire by the hot air balloon's gas burner, and then fell to the ground. They also thought it was funny, that all four people died on their birthday. ^^

The next two classes were okay as well. One of my students gave me a chocolate bar, an Almond Snickers, which is one of my favourites here, so that definitely put a smile on my face. The second class has had a student or two missing this week, since its school holidays and they're off doing stuff, which is understandable. In this class, when I ask, if someone is not there, the running joke is that "XX died.", so I reply "again?". And the last class, of students who will be in Middle school Grade one this year, were a bit rowdy, but fun. Then the usual class with the boss' son, teaching TOEIC. Yes, a 15 year old, learning business English. Very normal in Korea.

I've gotta go to Jeongeup for Geomdo tomorrow morning, which is cool, and Sunday is free to do whatever, which is cool. In order to save money this year, I've gotta cut down on costs, and one of the things that costs the most for me, is when I travel. So, I've allocated one weekend a month, for travelling. I'm okay with friends coming to see me, but many of them rarely do.

So, a big thanks to M, for ending the reign of shit times. Also, a big thanks to one of my students who drew this, and gave it to me. Definately worth putting on the wall, above my desk. Two gifts from two students in two days. When it rains, it pours, eh? ^^

2 comments:

Bjørn Larssen said...

This drawing is SO COOL -- it reminds me of Shawn Ye's works:

http://shawnye.com

Marie Lynn said...

Actually, I just called you "one of those bitter Korea bloggers" :P